Tuesday, July 10, 2007

New Inspiration

I just finished reading a book by John Guzzwell and his amazing solo circumnavigation aboard his little 21ft homemade Trekka. I was really intrigued but the first couple of chapters, especially the very beginning. When John got the idea to build his little boat, he was about the same age as me, and he started saving and planning for his boat at this time as well. It took him several years to get his boat ready, and granted he did have to build it himself. He took off and the rest is history, he became, as I believe, both the youngest person and in the smallest boat to ever circumnavigate, at least at that time (1950s).

I would love to sail around the world, and if I have my way I will one day. For now however I would be content with just having a boat I could go out on during a long weekend. I figure if in three or four years, John Guzzwell could save up, build, and outfit his own boat, within the same time period I should be able to buy a fairly cheap boat and outfit it for the same, albeit with some of the comforts of modern technology. As it's been stated, I am by no means rich, wealthy, or even well off. Fact is I'm rather poor. But I'm willing to sacrifice what little luxury I do enjoy for my dreams. With any luck, and a strong fortitude against temptation I will not only realize, but also live my dreams.

No comments: