Monday, March 9, 2009

I am nearing completion on packing, a good thing considering I'm leaving in just two days. I keep finding myself day dreaming and boat browsing when i should be packing. I've come across one more downside, I picked up a couple of unexected expenses with the move and it's putting a strain on my savings plan. I can still put something away, just not exactly as much as I was hoping. So with funds on the mind when I look at boats I find myself gravitating once again towards smaller boats.

The unfortunate truth of the matter is that even though I can afford some 30+ foot boats, almost all of them are coastal cruisers that need a lot of work. Where for the same price I can find some proven offshore cruisers that are a bit smaller, normally in better condition. All I am sacrificing is interior space. How much space do I really need anyways? I would love to have that U shapped setee, and that large galley I find in the bigger boats. But I really want the offshore passagemaking capabilities of many of the smaller boats. I know that I don't have the money to truly do any serious extended offshore sailing. I don't even have the experience needed to even think about it yet. I could be quite happy with a more coastal boat, more livable room, and the ability to explore the Bahamas, and the Americas. But then again I think, what if I get bored? Or what if I suddenly get the opportunity to cross an ocean?

It is very tempting to go for the smaller boat. I'd feel more comfortable sailing it. The hardware is cheaper, the slip fees are cheaper, and how much space do I need? Somewhere to rest my head, cook, and eat. That's about it. I lose entertainment room, but who really entertains down below that much anyways? But then again with a less seaworthy boat and the right skills you can pretty much sail anything across an ocean. But I'm a while off from getting that kind of skill.

I still have a few more days of day dreaming before I make my move back to Florida. The Jeep is packed with everything but this computer and I'm ready to go. I just put some more money into savings, I'm now just under 10% of my goal, plus I still have tax refunds coming!

No comments: