Saturday, March 21, 2009

Back in Florida

Well I made it safely to Florida with my meager possessions intact. Found an apartment with my buddy and we're all set to move in once I get off the boat in April. My only concern is that I'm spending money horribly fast. My plan to save every penny isn't quite holding up to my expectations. I know it costs a bit to move and get re-settled but it pains me to know I'm taking away from my boat. I'm feeling the pressure of not having that cushion money in my checking account that I had grown accustomed to. I wish I was home for longer periods of time, but I may just have to stay out on the towboat a bit longer to get on track again. Maybe I could land an extremely part time job somewhere working for maybe 5 or 6 days each time I'm home. An extra $200 would be an amazing help. I'm still bit by the dream, but the reality is setting in. Perhaps I could get a small loan if I need one after the year is up but I'm going to try and avoid that if at all possible. I still have two tax returns and a bonus check to collect before I have to have a boat so that should help. Actually I could probably buy a small fixer upper on just that but I don't want to have to upgrade in the future, at least not in the foreseeable future.

I'm still leaning towards a smaller boat, not a shoebox that floats, but a well thought out design that is capable of at least serious coastal cruising. I also don't want something that can not accommodate a second person. As unlikely as it may be, there is always the possibility that I could find a girl that would like to join me on my grand adventure. Yeah right, I havn't had a steady girlfriend in at least two years, and my plans are not exactly what most women seem to desire. What's so wrong with a broke boat bum with delusions of grandour? Oh well maybe she's out there somewhere waiting for me to find her.

No comments: