Sunday, January 27, 2008

It's been far too long.

It's been quite a while since I posted on this blog about my live aboard dreams. In that time I tried to join the US Coast Guard but was shot down at the last minute due to past problems of delinquent debt. Fair enough, it happens I guess. Unfortunately I also lost my place of residence in the process. I was told I was on my way, so my room mates had gone ahead and replaced me, which was going to effectively leave me homeless. Luckily for me fate had other plans.

A good friend of mine just moved up from his 1982 Hunter 33 to a 38 ft, and he was in dire need of getting rid of his previous boat. The price was right, and the terms of payment more than agreeable so I jumped on it. I'm sure the pressure of being homeless didn't have much to do with it either. In fact it's eerily similar to how he originally ended up with the boat. Any boat you get for this cheap definitely has its quirks. The two biggest would be the smell from the horrid soft holding tank, and the fact that the rudder is bent into an almost perfect "L" shape.

For an added bonus, only two days after buying the boat a job offer from the heavens (or hell, I havn't truly found out yet) descended upon me. It's a chance to be a deckhand for a shipping barge, good pay, great benefits, and the ability to move up rapidly all come with it. For me it's a great, as my list of modifications and additions to the boat grows by a couple of feet every day.

So I've finally gotten my boat, right when I least expected it, and now I can actually start blogging about fixing it, and living aboard. The only downside is I will be gone from my boat for 4 out of every 6 weeks. The upside is having a full two weeks to actually work on the boat.

Until next time,
CJ

No comments: